Office of Students in Transition
Manual Career Technical Center 
1215 E Truman Rd. Suite 358
Kansas City, Missouri 64106 
Phone: (816) 418-8640
Fax: (816) 418-8685
Hours 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you answer yes to any of the four questions below, please contact us at (816) 418-8640.

Are you sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason?

Are you currently residing at a motel, hotel, in a car, or at a campsite because
your home has been damaged or because of economic reasons?

Are you currently residing in a shelter?

Are you currently living in a temporary housing arrangement due to economic hardship? 

Attention Students in Transition Participants


The 2014-15 school year will begin on Monday, August 11, 2014.
All Program Participants must update their information for 2014-15 school year:
Enrollment will be held July 15-19 and July 23-25
at Parent University, Manual Career Tech, 
1215 E Truman Rd. 

Tue July 15, 10am-7pm 

Wed July 16, 7am-7pm
Thurs July 17, 10am-7pm
Fri July 18, 10am-7pm
Sat July 19, 9am-2pm
Wed July, 23 7am-7pm
Thurs July, 24 10am-7pm
Fri July 25, 10am-7pm

Educational Rights of Homeless Students
Under the McKinney-Vento Act, children in homeless situations have the right to:
  • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there
  • Attend either their school of origin or their local school 
  • Receive associated transportation services
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if missing documents normally required for enrollment, such as: 
    • birth certificate,
    • proof of residence,
    • school records,
    • Immunization (shots) or medical records
    • proof of income
  • Have immediate access to free lunch (without filling out forms)
  • Engage in all the same programs and services that are available to all other students 
Who Qualifies for Services?
Homeless children are those who lack a fixed, regular or adequate nighttime residence, 
and includes children and youth who are:
  • Temporarily “doubled-up” with relatives or friends due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar issue
  • Living in motels, hotels, or campgrounds 
  • Living in emergency or transitional shelters
  • Awaiting foster care placement
  • Runaway youth, as well as youth not residing with their legal guardian
  • Living in housing without heat, lights, or water 
Services and Supports
Homeless children may require the following: 
  • School Transportation
  • School supplies and backpacks
  • Uniforms for school
  • School Activity and Field Trip Fees
  • Before and after school tutoring
  • Case Management 
  • Resource Referrals