The school was named for the American poet and writer John Greenleaf Whittier. The original Whittier Elementary School was built in1889 and was located on the west end of what is now our lower playground. It had several additions, and in 1922 held 1,016 students. Our current building was dedicated in 1958, at which time the original building was torn down. At various times during its existence this school has been a K – 3, a Pre-K - 6 , a K – 8 and Pre-K – 7 building. Whittier Elementary celebrated its centennial in 1989, which was attended by many former students and teachers. In 1996 the building was renovated to how it looks today.
Whittier is a neighborhood school serving students from Kindergarten to 6th Grade. We have a diverse student population that features many languages and cultures. Today we have about 500 students enrolled in 21 classrooms. In addition to the core curriculum, the students also receive instruction in art, music, physical education, computer and library.
My name is Luis Hinojosa. I am so excited that I have the opportunity to work with you and your students. I have been in education for over 16 years. I graduated from Benedictine College with my Bachelor and Master's Degree. I have taught middle school, was a high school assistant principal, an elementary principal and college professor. I love working with students of all ages. My favorite is working with our elementary students though!
I have a beautiful wife named Meghan and three wonderful children: Sam (13), Tanner (9), amd Anna (7). My hobbies include watching sporting events and enjoying time with friends and family. I really like that my wife loves to watch sporting events, too. That makes it even more special.
A few interesting facts about me:
- My family truly values education. My father is a doctor in my hometown. I am the oldest of 4 boys! My brother Paul graduated from Notre Dame with an MBA; Grayson graduates from Tulane Law in December; Andrew graduated from UMKC Dental School this past May. We value and know the importance of getting an education.
- I was born in La Paz, Bolivia. My mother taught adults how to read using newspapers in Bolivia.
- I used to coach basketball at the University of Kansas during the summers.
- I have coached several sports: football, basketball, golf, tennis, track, and wrestling.
- My birthday is on July 4th!
- My daughter wears cochlear implants and just started hearing 3 years ago.
- My oldest son loves books and reads ALL the time.
- My youngest son loves sports and is going to be quarterback of his college team when he gets older.
I am looking forward to having a great school year. There will be some great things going here at Whittier Elementary. We need to work together to help your students reach their fullest potential. We will be the best elementary school in our district. We need your help. I want Whittier to be the shining star of our district, which can happen. Before you know it, KCPS will be one of the strongest districts in the state. We have great schools and teachers in this district. Keep supporting your student and teachers and we will keep moving forward. As Dr. Green says, “We are in it to win it.” Thank you for your support and let's make this an amazing school year together.