The following three entities fall under Early Learning:
Head Start is a federally funded program with a limited number of seats available that provides early learning and family support services to children and families in need who live in the Kansas City Public Schools area.
If you qualify for Head Start, priority will be given to children from income-eligible families with the highest points based on criteria. Verification must include examination of any of the following:
- Tax form 1040, W-2 forms, pay stubs, pay envelopes, or a written statement from employers, and/or documentation showing current status as recipients of public assistance.
- Ten percent of the total enrollment slots must be for children with diagnosed disabilities.
- Children who receive public assistance through TANF and SSI are eligible. (Children [families] who receive food stamps or child care subsidies can no longer be automatically qualified).
- Previously enrolled children will be eligible for enrollment the second year without verifying the family income.
Early Childhood Education is a program with a limited number of seats available that provides early learning services to children residing in the Kansas City Public Schools area.
Parents As Teachers (PAT) is a parent education and family support program serving families throughout pregnancy until their child enters kindergarten. Parent educators share information on early brain development, along with parenting advice for families to help make the most of their child's early learning years. Through personal visits, group connections, developmental screenings and networks of community referrals, parents learn about early childhood development and how to increase their child's school readiness and success. Please contact the Parents as Teachers (PAT) supervisor at 418-5245 to learn how to apply for this program.
In order for your child to attend the Head Start or Early Childhood Education program, the child must be 3 years old before August 1 of the current school year. The pre-k enrollment application can be downloaded in Spanish or English below. In order for your application to be processed, you will also need to take the following documents:
- Two (2) current check stubs, or proof of income (within the last 30 days)
- Two (2) proofs of residence required:
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days; AND
- Lease or mortgage agreement
- Child's birth certificate
- Child's current shot records
- Valid Picture ID of Parent or Guardian
- Child's social security card (not mandatory)
- Child's medical card (not mandatory)
For any questions regarding Early Childhood, please call (816) 418-5213.
For any questions regarding Head Start, please call (816) 418-5298.
For further questions regarding Parents As Teachers (PAT) or to apply, please contact the Parents As Teachers (PAT) supervisor at (816) 418-5245.
Click here for the 2014 Self-Assessment Report for the KCPS Head Start Program.