African-Centered College Preparatory Academy Elementary
African-Centered College Prep focuses on college readiness as well as teaching the rich history of African and African-American people and culture to give students the opportunity to drive their own success. Research shows that when a student knows their heritage, they are more likely to take pride in their performance and demonstrate improved behavior. AC Prep teaches there’s more to black history than just slavery, it provides a glimpse into life before slavery.
Along with a rigorous college prep academic curriculum, AC Prep teaches principals of Ma’at and the Nguzo Saba focusing on self-esteem, empowerment, responsible citizenship, along with the classical views of traditional African society.
Elementary (K-5) Admission Requirements: Students must have a GPA of 2.35 or better, a 90% or better attendance record, and a discipline record that shows appropriate student behavior. Previously enrolled students do not need to re-enroll for middle school as long as they maintain the below requirements.
Middle School (6-8) Admission Requirements: Students must have a GPA of 2.35 or better, a 90% or better attendance record, and a discipline record that shows appropriate student behavior. Previously enrolled students do not need to re-enroll for high school as long as they maintain the admission requirements.
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 8th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (fine at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: Who can attend Signature Schools?A: Any student who lives within the Kansas City Public Schools attendance boundary and meets the school's enrollment requirements can attend a Signature School. Students who live outside the school system attendance boundary may be eligible to attend if space permits; tuition fees would apply.Q: Do students who attend Signature Schools receive transportation?A: Students in grades K-12 who live 1.5 miles or more from their school are eligible for transportation. Transportation is not provided to pre-kindergarten students. For more detailed information, visit www.kcpublicschools.org/transportation.Q: How do I fulfill the additional admission requirements?A: Once you have submitted your enrollment application, call the school office to schedule a time to complete the admission requirements.Q: What is the age requirement for my child to enter pre-kindergarten?A: Your child must be three years old before August 1. Visit the Richardson Early Learning or Woodland Early Learning for enrollment information.Q: What is the age requirement for my child to enter kindergarten?A: Your child must be five years old before August 1.**Updated 12/09/15Q: Will I be allowed to enroll my child in a Kansas City Public School without having an up-to-date immunization record on file?A: No. Missouri law (RSMo 167.181) requires all children show proof of adequate immunizations before enrolling in a public school.