MASTER PLAN BACKGROUND INFORMATION
In 2013, KCPS began a master planning process to ensure we are using our limited resources as effectively and efficiently as possible in order to give our students the best opportunity to succeed in reaching their college and career dreams. In April 2015, after completing a detailed technical assessment and a series of community discussions, master planning consultant MGT presented its assessment to the school board. In the summer/fall 2015, KCPS Administration reviewed and assessed the MGT findings and presented draft recommendations to the School Board on November 4, 2015.
Between November 2015 and February 2016, KCPS staff collected feedback from students, parents, staff and community members (38 meetings, 832 meeting participants, 1,321 surveys) about the draft recommendations. On February 10, 2016, KCPS Administration presented revised master plan recommendations to the Board of Education, which worked to address the additional ideas, concerns and priorities heard from the KCPS community. The revised master plan recommendations outline a plan to build stronger schools and stronger communities. The plan identifies programs and policies to increase academic achievement (reduced K-2 class size, year-round school, etc), enhance co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, and improve transportation services (reduce school walk boundary from 1.5 miles to ½ mile). KCPS Board of Education approved the recommendations as presented on February 10th. KCPS is now beginning to work with parents, students, staff and the community to implement the recommendations and to ensure a smooth transition for our families and staff.
KCPS Administration would like to thank all the students, parents, school staff and community members who participated in the process and shared their feedback.
MASTER PLAN TIMELINE
- September – December 2013: KCPS staff conducts technical assessment & community engagement
- October 2014 – March 2015:Consultant (MGT) conducts technical assessment & community engagement
- April 2015: MGT presents recommendations to School Board/Superintendent
- May - October 2015: KCPS staff reviews/assesses MGT recommendations
- November 2015: KCPS staff presents recommendations to the School Board
- November 2015: Stakeholder engagement meetings
- February 2016: Board decision on recommendations
- February – August 2016 School Year: Transition plan activities/programs
- Fall 2016: Implementation of Master Plan
QUICK LINKSA summary of the recommendations can be found HERE.New attendance boundary maps can be found HERE.To find your school, CLICK HERE.To view the February 10, 2016 Master Plan presentation, CLICK HERE.Supplemental documents provided to the Board of Education, CLICK HERE.To view the June 5, 2015 MGT Master Plan Report, CLICK HERE.