Division of Communications & Engagement
The division will creatively and effectively engage with our diverse community in a timely manner to support the academic, social and emotional development of our students. We will advocate for systemic equity throughout KCPS.
- Promote KCPS strengths.
- Connect KCPS Families with valuable resources.
- Acknowledge KCPS challenges and promote solutions.
- Differentiate KCPS messages for our diverse audiences.
- Foster transparent two-way communication within the KCPS system and community at large
- Improve the flow of information within the Kansas City Public School system.
- Increase the quantity and quality of information between the KCPS and those we serve. (Parents, Students, and Community Members)
- Provide Transparency between KCPS and the general public.
- Increase organization, culture and professionalism around any district-wide initiative or event.
- Promote equity work throughout the KCPS school system.
Department of Communications
Communications Services offers a full range of creative services and strategic planning designed to share the message of the Kansas City Public Schools. We work to communicate the mission and goals of the district as it seeks to raise the academic achievement of each student. The department is committed to providing timely, effective communication that engages our students, parents, employees and community members. Communication services include:
- Internal Messaging
- External Messaging
- KCPS News
- KCPS Events
Department of Engagement
The KCPS Office of Family and Community Engagement strives to impact the relationship between students, families, community and civic organizations and the district by increasing the number of opportunities for service provision, encouraging family and community involvement in the education process and ensuring a focus on equitable access to education for the Kansas City community. Areas of focus include:
Community Engagement and Advocacy
The planned process (and associated outcomes) of building consistent, permanent and positive relationships for the purpose of developing a shared vision, mobilizing collective effort and building capacity within Kansas City for the success of KCPS students and families. Those relationships are built through community partners and volunteers working N.E.A.R. KCPS teachers and staff members.
- Notify: Utilize a variety of strategic methods to proactively ensure complete, truthful, transparent and sincere communication within KCPS and throughout the Kansas City community.
- Embrace: Create meaningful opportunities for the Kansas City community to participate, support, network and learn with KCPS as active partners in the creation of successful policies, practices and programs.
- Ask: Seek opportunities to listen intently, respond appropriately and act genuinely both formally and informally throughout Kansas City by actively soliciting the views of families and community members.
- Revive: Establish viable pathways to organize community support into leadership and advocacy opportunities committed to KCPS improvement and a substantial role in creating community change.