The purpose of Kansas City Public Schools (KCPS) is to provide a quality education that prepares all of our students, regardless of background or circumstances, for success in college, career and life. We will produce scholars who are high-achieving critical thinkers, prepared to succeed in a constantly changing world and engaged in the improvement of their communities. KCPS will accomplish this goal by providing teachers with the appropriate training, resources and support they need to develop the whole child.
KCPS envisions its schools as places where every student will develop a deep understanding of the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue higher education, obtain family-supporting employment, contribute to the civic well-being of the community, and have the opportunity for a rewarding and fulfilling life.
The mission of KCPS is to achieve, in a way that is unencumbered by excuses, our vision for education by ensuring that all children benefit from teaching and learning.
Our Core Beliefs: Five principles guide our actions and behaviors at all levels.
- All students can and will learn; we must provide appropriate educational opportunities for each student that are commensurate with his/her individual needs and abilities.
- Education is a life-long process, only able to be fully achieved through a collaborative learning community that is built on integrity, high expectations, and mutual respect and support.
- All schools can be successful and efficient when we provide each of our students with access to a rigorous curriculum and high levels of interaction, engagement, and teaming that will serve to prepare them for college, career, and life.
- We must provide a safe learning environment where students feel protected and learning can flourish.
- With parental and community support and involvement from all stakeholders, we can build an environment where children have no option but to succeed.
Goals and Measurements of Student Success
Goals & Measures of Student Success articulate the outcomes we want for our students and the indicators of progress toward those outcomes. Since student achievement is the centerpiece of the Strategic Plan, the Kansas City community defined Five Aspirational Goals for our students:
Goal 1: Success in the early years - Every student will receive the social-emotional, cognitive, health and community support necessary to be successful by the end of Grade 3.
Goal 2: Whole Child: Safe, Challenged, and Supported - Every student will be challenged and supported within a safe learning environment to be a responsible and productive citizen capable of meeting high expectations.
Goal 3: Continuous Growth Toward Mastery of All Subjects - Every student will progress at a pace that closes the achievement gap and will meet or exceed academic standards in academic subjects.
Goal 4: 21st Century Critical Thinkers and Problem-Solvers - Every student will demonstrate global competitiveness, creative thinking, and innovation through effective reasoning, communication, and advocacy for themselves and their community.
Goal 5: Readiness for College, Career, and Life - Every student will graduate from high school with a post-secondary plan and the experiences and preparation to execute that plan successfully after high school.
A Roadmap for Student Growth and Success
Strategic Priorities are the programs, targeted solutions or continuous improvement initiatives which, when fully implemented, will facilitate the accomplishment of the Goals. These Strategic Priorities are framed around the Four Pillars.