Speaking at a Board Meeting
Public Comment Procedures for Monthly Business Meetings
The Kansas City School Board welcomes public comment during its regular business meeting to provide families and community members an opportunity to communicate their interests and concerns. The Board uses the public comment period as an opportunity to listen and receive information, but not to debate issues or enter into a question-and-answer session.
- Individuals interested in providing public comment during the Board’s regular monthly business meeting should contact the Office of Board Services before 3 p.m. on the day of the meeting (normally the fourth Wednesday of the month) by calling (816) 418-7621 or vi a email at email@example.com. Alternatively, individuals may sign the “Speaking at the Board Meeting” sheet at the meeting before 6:15 p.m. on the day of the Business Meeting.
- The Board Secretary will ask if there is a topic that you wish to address. This query allows the Board to make the agenda more transparent by adding that information to the agenda. Please include your name, address, phone number and topic.
- The Board allows for up to 10 speakers per public comment period. The Board Chair will call on individuals who sign up to speak; substitutions are not permitted.
- During the public comment portion of the meeting, the Board Chair will call each individual to the podium in the order in which they signed up.
- Each speaker is limited to three (3) minutes.
- Speakers may provide written information to support their commentary.
- Comments must be acceptable for a business and family-friendly environment: Inappropriate language, gestures or personal attacks will not be tolerated.
- The Message Cube is available to submit questions during meetings. This gives the public a chance to ask questions related to agenda items. Please call (816) 213-0997 during the meeting.