Breakfast and lunch are provided to every student in the KCPS, free-of-charge.
The Department of Child Nutrition is responsible for developing, preparing and serving student-inspired healthy meals. Menus are planned by a team of Registered & Licensed Dietitians, in collaboration with an Executive Chef. All meals are approved by the Director of Food & Nutrition to meet the guidelines and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Menus are planned with the goal of providing students with one third of their Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for key nutrients and calories. Child Nutrition Services offers a variety of programs that are geared towards increasing our student’s exposure to fresh and healthy foods.
Child Nutritional Services vision is that all students have access to healthy and nutritious meals that promote strong and eager learners in the classrooms. Child Nutritional Services will proactively engage students, parents and community members on meal planning to ensure that our menus are rich in diversity, innovation and creativity.
Additionally, the Department of Child Nutrition:
- Developed a Wellness Policy that is focused on improving the health of students. The policy was developed by the health and wellness advisory council that includes teachers, parents, administrators, and the district nurse.
- Continues to share the message of nutrition and wellness via our department’s website that emphasizes the importance of nutrition and fitness.
- Provides information on the nutrition and fitness for teachers, parents, and students, as well as, a variety of learning tools.
- Identifies student needs and wants and works diligently to fulfill such requests.
Office of Child Nutrition
The Office of Child Nutrition is responsible for making sure every student has access to nutritious meals at school, while removing any impediments and/or barriers to a child’s access to food. We strongly believe providing students with nutritious meals throughout the day has a positive effect on the outcome of their day.
Additionally, the Office of Child Nutrition
- Provides catering through our catering Chef, who can provide you with an assortment of dishes or work with any special requests.
- Provides top of the line training for all new employees in hopes of a smooth transition to our team.
- Provides nutrition education training and creative activities that inspire students to develop healthy eating habits.
Office Programs and Initiatives
- To ensure we exude excellent customer service to all customers.
- We play a vital role in cultivating a focused learning environment for our students by serving quality, nutritious meals.
- We strive to provide our team members with the training, tools, resources, and environment to be successful in reaching our goals.
Staff Members and Contact Info
Brian Wieher, Director-Food & Nutrition
Office: (816) 418-7457
Janae Harvey, Administrative Assistant
Office: (816) 418-7452
Katlyn Lanoue RD/LD, Assistant Director, Dietitian
Office: (816) 418-7017
Teresita Pineda, Office/Payroll Technician
Louida George, Accountability Technician
Maxwell Gratton, IT Support Specialist
Office: (816) 418-7733
Chef Manny Alipio, Chef & Caterer
Hannah Thornburgh RD/LD, Supervisor/Dietitian
Lauren Cheadle, Area Supervisor
Chon Walters, Area Supervisor
Office: (816) 418-7011
Lea Ann Smiroldo, Area Supervisor