Seal of Biliteracy
Through increasing technology, the world is becoming smaller and the increase of bilingual skills are on the rise for professionals in the workplace. A Seal of Biliteracy and the Pathway awards encourage students to pursue biliteracy, honors the skills our students attain and help build a positive culture of diversity within the school setting.
Students who participate can earn up to 14 college credit hours at a variety of Missouri-based universities. In addition, students with the Seal of Biliteracy do not only have the gift of a second language, but the skills they develop as part of the program are also attractive to future employers.
About the Seal of Biliteracy
The Missouri Seal of Biliteracy is an award granted by a local system to recognize a student who has attained proficiency in English and one or more other world languages (s) before high school graduation. The recognition of attaining biliteracy becomes a part of the high school transcript for these students and serves to certify attainment of biliteracy for the community, employers and universities. This recognition is ideal for:
- Native English speakers studying a foreign language
- English language learners acquiring English and maintaining their native language
The Missouri Seal of Biliteracy is recognized and endorsed by a number of colleges, universities and businesses, including Missouri State University, Truman State University and Mastercard. Seal-holders will have opportunities to earn college credit and career development thanks to this recognition. The award becomes part of the student’s transcript:
- Beneficial when applying to certain Missouri universities
- Beneficial when applying for jobs at certain Missouri businesses
- College credit
- Values diversity
- Encourages the study of a second language and culture
- Recognize, promote, and praise students for their accomplishment
- Provide employers with a means of identifying bilingual employees
- Provide universities with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants
- Prepare students with 21st-century skills that will benefit them in a global economy and society
- Strengthen relationships and honor the cultures and languages in a community
Dowload the flyer here.
Seal of Biliteracy Documentation