It is the mission of the Transportation Department to improve student achievement by providing safe, timely and efficient transportation of all eligible KCPS students.
- ACCPA Lower
- Border Star
- Central High
- Central Middle
- East High
- Hale Cook
- Lincoln Middle
- Missouri Options
- Northeast High
- Northeast Middle
- Success Academy - Anderson
- Success Academy - Knotts
- Resident students who live 0.5 miles or more from the school they attend are eligible for transportation.
- Resident students who live less than 0.5 miles from their resident Neighborhood School or Signature School of attendance are not eligible for transportation. The safe transport of these students to and from school must be the responsibility of the parent.
- District transportation is not provided for students who elect to attend a Neighborhood School other than their resident Neighborhood School.
- Students who are eligible for transportation are not required to walk more than two (2) blocks to their bus stop location.
Transportation Address & Home Address:
For safety reasons, only one address may be used for both morning and afternoon transportation. Barring extenuating and legally binding circumstances, no student may be picked up at one address and returned to a different address.
- Bus stops for students attending their neighborhood school are based on home addresses and day care providers within the attendance boundary of their school.
- Bus stops for students attending Signature Schools may be based on a transportation address (i.e., day care provider, child care center, or relative’s home). If used, the transportation address will be the only transportation address utilized for the student.
- All address changes must be executed through a student’s school or the KCPS Admissions Department.
- The parent should call the school or the Transportation Department for transportation information at least one (1) business day after an updated address is reported to a school or the KCPS Admissions Department. If an existing bus stop is not within the district’s bus stop guidelines, then the parent will be responsible for transportation until a permanent bus stop is established. It may take up to five (5) business days depending on request volume. Stop requests will be processed as quickly as possible and in the order received.
New students may be informed of the nearest existing bus stop based upon the student’s reported home or transportation address. If there is no existing bus stop within the district’s bus stop guidelines, a new stop will be created. When a new stop must be created, parents should contact the school or the Transportation Department for transportation information at least one (1) business day after an updated address is reported to a school or the KCPS Admissions Department. If an existing bus stop is not within the district’s bus-stop guidelines, then the parent will be responsible for transportation until a permanent bus stop is established. It may take up to five (5) business days depending on request volume. Stop requests will be processed as quickly as possible and in the order received.
Student Transfers & Change of Address
- All transfers and/or address changes should be reported to the student’s school or KCPS Admissions Department at least two (2) weeks before the scheduled change. Transportation cannot be scheduled until the Transportation Department receives an updated student record with the new school assignment or new home/transportation address.
- The Transportation Department does not have the ability to make address changes. Address changes must be submitted through the school or KCPS Admissions Department.
- If an existing stop is within the walk guidelines, the student will be assigned to that existing stop. If a new stop has to be created, transportation will be the parents’ responsibility until new transportation, within the District’s bus stop walk guidelines, is arranged.
- For an address change, school personnel should enter the home and/or transportation address in the student record system as soon as the new address is reported.
- If a student can be served from the new address by an existing stop, school personnel can retrieve the new transportation information from the student record system.
Bus Stop Change Requests
- Requests for bus stop changes should be called into the Transportation Department.
- Stop locations will only be changed if the walk distance to the bus stop exceeds the District’s two-block guideline.
- A Safety Supervisor will evaluate an existing stop if a request is received. A new stop will then be created, or the requested change will be denied.
- Requests for a bus stop change due to other extenuating circumstances will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Transportation Department.