AVID — Advancement Via Individual Determination — fosters a safe and open culture, high expectations for teachers and students, and collaboration in all classrooms.
AVID is schoolwide system that utilizes a framework that:
- Promotes college and career readiness for all students
- Fosters a safe, positive, inclusive classroom culture
- Creates student-centric and highly engaged classroom environments
- Supports high expectations for teachers and students
- Creates rigorous learning environment
- Supports teachers in the use researched-based, best instructional practices that layer onto existing curriculum to enhance learning of any content
AVID students reflect and question while mastering content rather than just repeating and memorizing. They work together to problem solve and are taught to articulate what they don’t understand and learn how to seek out the resources they need. By teaching critical thinking, inquiry, and self-advocacy, AVID educators empower students to own their learning.
All students need to learn how to learn. Note-taking, studying, and organizing assignments are all skills that must be taught and practiced to perfect, but are not explicitly taught in schools. AVID works and we can prove it. See how AVID can make a difference with your student!
Currently, KCPS offers the AVID programs in three elementary schools, three middle schools and four high schools. AVID is available in the following schools:
- Faxon Elementary
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary
- African-Centered College Preparatory Academy – Lower
- Lincoln Middle School
- Central Middle
- Northeast Middle
- Northeast High
- East High
- Central High
- Southeast High
To apply for acceptance into one of our programs, please complete this PDF form and submit it to your school’s counselor and/or AVID site coordinator.