Family Empowerment Center
The Family Empowerment Center will inform, educate and support parents and families in becoming partners in learning, advocates and decision makers by assisting in the removal of resource barriers. Stop by to enjoy a snack, check out the new space, and learn about our commitment to building strong relationships between families, schools and the community. RSVP appreciated to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-418-7455.
Is your organization interested in supporting our families, students and/or staff through the Family Empowerment Center? Please complete this form.
Kansas City Public Schools is expanding its scope of responsive services for district families, and the Office of Family and Community Engagement (FaCE) is a driving force of innovative and responsive programming that prepares families for and propels them towards achieving their long-term goals.
Families should have the skills and capacity to promote their children’s development, ensure their children are ready for school, build strong family relationships and create a connected community. To help achieve this, FaCE is launching a Family Empowerment Center (FEC) at Central High School open to all KCPS families!
The Family Empowerment Center will inform, educate and support parents and families in becoming partners in learning, advocates and decision-makers by assisting in the removal of resource barriers.
More About the Family Empowerment Center
The Family Empowerment Center features a resource room with a training/meeting area, as well as a collaborative workspace within Central’s budding community engagement wing, which currently houses:
- Justice in the Schools free legal clinic
- Early Head Start Center
- Urban TEC, which provides computer technology training and skills development for urban schools and communities
- Central High School alumni room
The resource room can be utilized by a variety of stakeholders, including parents and families, students, KCPS staff, Partners in Education and community members.
- A robust library full of materials for families and KCPS staff geared toward numerous parenting topics, and enhancing parent involvement and engagement to improve academic outcomes, as well as reading material for students grades K-12
- Computers with internet access for families to use for anything from checking the Tyler system to searching and applying for employment
- A meeting/training area for KCPS staff, Partners in Education, families and community members to use for various needs, including parent organization meetings, community meetings and parent education workshops
- An area for children to play, read, do homework, etc.
- (Limited) basic needs items for students, including uniforms, clothing and toiletries
- A display of district and community resources and events
Family Empowerment Center
Central High School - Room 106
3221 Indiana Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64128
Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
For assistance outside of walk-in hours, please contact us to schedule an appointment.