Justice in the Schools
Justice in the Schools (JTS) is a FREE legal service provided to students and families within the Kansas City Public School system. This joint project is made possible through the supportive efforts of the KCPS school district and School Smart KC.
The legal clinic defends families of KCPS students against wrongful evictions to prevent homelessness and keep students in their current school. JTS also helps KCPS families with many other legal issues that negatively affect student attendance. All legal services are free of charge to eligible families within the school district.
Issues We CAN Assist With:
- Public and Subsidized Housing Issues
- Landlord/Tenant Law (Eviction Defense)
- Family Law and Guardianships
- Domestic Violence Protection
- Foreclosure Prevention
- Food stamps, TANF, SSI and Medicaid
- Consumer Matters (Car loan issues, Bankruptcy, etc.)
- Denial of Unemployment Benefits
Issues We CAN’T Assist With:
- Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Worker’s Compensation
- Criminal Cases, including traffic violations
Please contact us about your potential legal needs by calling (816) 418-2052.
Or, send us a message through the email form below.
Information provided through the webform will be shared directly with Legal Aid and used to assist in reaching you and providing help with your legal issue.