Students in Transition
Student in Transition Families - Don't forget to contact our office to recertify and update your information!
Students in Transition Booklet
The purpose of this report is to educate community stakeholders about student homelessness in Kansas City Public Schools (KCPS) and the work of the district's Office of Students in Transition (SIT). SIT is responsible for identifying homeless students under the McKinney-Vento Act (MKV) and facilitating their enrollment and education in pre-K through grade 12.
Learn more about SIT by clicking on the booklet image.
Applications are being accepted for the 2021-2022 school year. Please click the Apply Here button to download our application. Once you've completed your application, please send it to email@example.com.
Participants of this program need to remember to recertify by contacting our office. Please call (816) 418-8640 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason?
Are you currently residing in a shelter, motel, hotel, in a car, or at a campsite because your home has been damaged or because of economic reasons?
Are you currently living in or participating with a community based temporary housing arrangement?
Would you like to make a monetary donation that will directly impact our families?
Additional Information about Community Donations
Educational Rights of Homeless Students
Under the McKinney-Vento Act, children in homeless situations have the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there
- Attend either their school of origin or their local school
- Receive associated transportation services
- Enroll in school immediately, even if missing documents normally required for enrollment due to homelessness, such as: birth certificate, proof of residence, school records, immunization (shots) or medical records
- Have immediate access to free lunch (without filling out forms)
- Engage in all the same programs and services that are available to all other students
Who Qualifies for Services?
Homeless children are those who lack a fixed, regular or adequate nighttime residence, and includes children and youth who are:
- Temporarily “doubled-up” with relatives or friends due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar issue
- Living in motels, hotels, or campgrounds
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Runaway youth, as well as youth not residing with their legal guardian
- Living in housing without heat, lights, or water
Services and Supports
Homeless children may require the following:
- School Transportation
- School supplies and backpacks
- Uniforms for school
- School Activity and Field Trip Fees
- Before and after school tutoring
- Case Management
- Resource Referrals
Office of Students in Transition
Manual Career Technical Center
1215 E Truman Rd. Suite 358
Kansas City, Missouri 64106
Phone: (816) 418-8640
Fax: (816) 418-8685
Hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
For transportation billing, please email here.
If you have questions concerning transportation, please contact the Transportation Department at (816) 418-8825.
Transportation Request - Agency & Shelter Use ONLY