Students in Transition
Applications are being accepted for the 2020-2021 school year. Please click the Apply Here button to download our application. Once you've completed your application, please send it to email@example.com.
Participants of this program need to remember to recertify by contacting our office. Please call (816) 418-8640 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason?
Are you currently residing in a shelter, motel, hotel, in a car, or at a campsite because your home has been damaged or because of economic reasons?
Are you currently living in or participating with a community based temporary housing arrangement?
Would you like to make a monetary donation that will directly impact our families?
Additional Information about Community Donations
Educational Rights of Homeless Students
Under the McKinney-Vento Act, children in homeless situations have the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there
- Attend either their school of origin or their local school
- Receive associated transportation services
- Enroll in school immediately, even if missing documents normally required for enrollment due to homelessness, such as: birth certificate, proof of residence, school records, immunization (shots) or medical records
- Have immediate access to free lunch (without filling out forms)
- Engage in all the same programs and services that are available to all other students
Who Qualifies for Services?
Homeless children are those who lack a fixed, regular or adequate nighttime residence, and includes children and youth who are:
- Temporarily “doubled-up” with relatives or friends due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar issue
- Living in motels, hotels, or campgrounds
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Runaway youth, as well as youth not residing with their legal guardian
- Living in housing without heat, lights, or water
Services and Supports
Homeless children may require the following:
- School Transportation
- School supplies and backpacks
- Uniforms for school
- School Activity and Field Trip Fees
- Before and after school tutoring
- Case Management
- Resource Referrals
Office of Students in Transition
Manual Career Technical Center
1215 E Truman Rd. Suite 358
Kansas City, Missouri 64106
Phone: (816) 418-8640
Fax: (816) 418-8685
Hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
For transportation billing, please email here.
If you have questions concerning transportation, please contact the Transportation Department at (816) 418-8825.