Kansas City Public Schools has embraced a district-wide strategy to engage more students in school-based mentoring programs. Mentoring within schools has become an increasingly popular and effective way to bring a caring adult or older peer relationship to the lives of more youth. The school setting provides an opportunity to reach students in an environment that also allows access to educational, recreational, and developmental support to help enhance mentoring relationships.
Kansas City Public Schools offers a diverse portfolio of mentoring options for community volunteers seeking to mentor youth. Our programs are designed to equip each student with the unique type of support that best meets their needs. KCPS Mentoring Programs is the recipient of the Outstanding Educational Achievement Program Award (2018), awarded by the South Kansas City Alliance.
KCPS offers a variety of mentoring programs and we are thrilled that you are interested in partnering with us to provide mentoring services for our students. Please note that our student mentoring services are offered at school, during school operating hours.
If you are interested in becoming a district mentoring partner, please complete the interest form. You will be contacted within 5 business days to discuss your meeting frequency, target population and program implementation.
In the meantime, feel free to check out the current list of mentoring partners: https://www.kcpublicschools.org/how-to-get-involved/mentoring/partners.
Questions? Reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who can volunteer?
- Do you provide training?
- Do I need to submit an application to be a volunteer?
- What is the time commitment for being a mentor?
- Is this program in-person or virtual?
- Can I choose the school site I mentor at?
- Can I volunteer with my family and friends?
- Do I have to have any special qualifications to be a volunteer?
- I have a disability – are there practices in place that allow me to participate?
- How do I know if this is the right volunteer opportunity for me?
- Are volunteers required to be vaccinated against COVID-19?
- Can you verify the hours I spend volunteering for my employer/service group?
- Can I sign up to be a mentor in the middle of the school year?
Mentoring amplifies change, one relationship at a time. Are you ready to become a KCPS Mentor?
STEP 1: Register for a mentor training session!
- Tell us about you and how you learned about the KCPS mentoring program. Click here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kcps-mentor-training-sy22-23-tickets-376256000827
STEP 2: Attend a 90-minute virtual training session!
- In the training session, prospective mentors will learn best practices for building mentoring relationships, understand your role as mentor and how to create a supportive environment.
STEP 3: Complete your mentor profile and get matched!
- Upon successful completion of the 90-minute training as well as both background and reference checks, mentors will be matched with students within a week.