Partners in Education
The Office of Partners in Education (PIE) is focused Identify, develop and manage partnerships that sponsor educational opportunities that benefit KCPS student, families and employees while coordinating with community organizations and leaders to build additional resources and increase the capacity of KCPS. In collaboration with community partners and Kansas City Public Schools leadership, PIE ensures that the needs and strengths of every student are known and partner services are differentiated to support students’ academic and social-emotional growth and success.
Areas of Focus Include:
- Align and Integrate Partner Services to Meet School and District Goals
Kansas City has a wealth of extremely effective community partners. But often, systemic inequity makes accessing resources difficult. Through the creation of partnership tools, partnership models, and accountability structures we will better align and leverage partner supports to meet school and District goals and improve student outcomes.
- Improve Community Partnership Infrastructure and Data Systems
In order to fully support our tiered intervention and supports, it essential to know what opportunities are available to schools and students. This will require both refinement of our current student data management system and support to community partners in using student data to improve their programs, services and instructional practice.
- Build the Capacity of District, School, and Partner Organization Staff to Collaboratively Meet the Needs of Students
PIE is committed to creating and offering supports that build the capacity of schools and community based organizations to effectively and authentically partner. In addition, we will build systems to better match schools and partners, to support principals to effectively select partners that will meet their students’ needs, and to support both schools and community based organizations to align services and work in an equitable manner.
- Developing and Maintaining Volunteer Relationships
Volunteering with the Kansas City Public Schools creates a dynamic, diverse network of cause-driven neighbors dedicated to strengthening the foundations of education, youth and community. There are many ways to volunteer with KCPS and we aim to create a seamless process that makes choosing KCPS a worthwhile option for Kansas City volunteers.
We know that navigating District processes and systems is often difficult for partners and school staff. Please see an overview of common KCPS partnership types supported or managed via the Office of PIE:
- Personal Services Contracts- contract between the district/schools and an outside partner organization where there is an exchange of money for services on the part of an individual, group or organization. These type of partnership/vendor contracts are managed via the KCPS Purchasing Office and interested parties should begin their work.
- Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) – District-wide agreement between KCPS and an outside partnering organization where no money is changing hands (the organization is bringing their own resources) and meets specific criteria including, but not limited to:
- Must have nonprofit, tax exempt, or business license
- Medical/behavioral health services
- Parental consent for service (waiver must be provided for exemption)
- Transportation to/from service site
- Data Sharing/Exchange
- Higher Education Institution (may include Research interests)
- Multi-year agreement
- Staff and/or volunteers will have direct, unsupervised contact with students
- Partner in Education Site Agreement - agreement between a single school-site and an outside partnering individual, organization, group (and sanctioned by the District) with no exchange of money for services. Agreements are only in place for one year.
- Collaboration Plan - agreement between entire District or single school and an outside partnering individual, group or organization for a single-event, donation/drive.