2022-23 Inclement Weather Policy
Even as we are enjoying nice fall weather, we know winter will arrive soon. We have been planning for the potential of snow/inclement weather days and Alternative Methods of Instruction (AMI) days for the upcoming winter season in KCPS. With this, we wanted to communicate how we will conduct any upcoming snow day plans.
We have two options for inclement weather this year:
- Snow Day: A traditional snow day is when we call off school due to inclement weather. This will be a no school day for students and no work day for most school-based staff (less than 12-month). It will be called a “snow day.”
- AMI Snow Day: Alternative Methods of Instruction (AMI) snow day is when we teach and work from home, with students participating in Synchronous (live, with the teacher via video conferencing) learning.
The implementation of the possibility of an AMI Snow Day outside of the classroom benefits all students. This option will be used when sufficient notice has been provided and we are able to deploy technology to go home with all students ahead of time. When we have AMI snow days, this will be the outline of the day:
AMI SNOW DAY
- 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. – Teacher Planning
- 9:00 – 12:00 p.m.
- Greeting – Review and summary of the day’s assignments. This will be Synchronous (Live, with the teacher via video conferencing).
- Provide students review assignments in each content area.
Again, we will clearly communicate snow day plans as winter weather arrives. Remember that the winter weather in Kansas City can be complicated, and we monitor winter weather closely. We do our best to provide notice to families as quickly as we can during these weather conditions. Thank you for helping us navigate this new option for snow day use.