(Last Updated 2/16/2020)
KCPS is highly concerned about the ongoing health and safety needs of our staff, students, families, and community at large during the COVID-19 pandemic. We value your service to the district. KCPS is constantly reviewing and considering the most up- to- date guidance from the Kansas City Health Department (KCHD), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),World Health Organization (WHO), Children’s Mercy Hospital (CMH) and other local community health partners, as well as local, state, and federal governments as to safe procedures and best practices for reopening school/work sites. Our school Re-entry Plan takes into account guidance from the CDC, KCHD, CMH, city mandates under Mayor Lucas's Emergency Order, and re-entry practices in our area, as well as educational guidance from the Missouri State School Board Association (MSBA) and other trusted educational organizations at local, state, and federal levels.
The information shared in these Staff FAQs is fluid and may be updated to reflect the latest health and safety guidance and recommendations. You are encouraged to check back regularly to the Staff FAQs as information will be frequently updated due to evolving guidance on the COVID-19 pandemic situation. If, at any time, you have questions or concerns regarding the KCPS Re-entry Plan or KCPS’s response to COVID-19 please contact Sara Williams, KCPS HR COVID-19 Coordinator, at email@example.com or 816-418-7536.
KCPS will begin the school year in a Distance Learning instructional model and also offer a Virtual Learning option. When it is safe for KCPS to move to a Blended or In-Person model, staff will be notified and given ample time to ready themselves for that transition. For all instructional models, the expectation is that staff will work their regularly scheduled work hours.
- I understand we are starting the 2020-2021 School Year in the Distance Learning model with a Virtual Learning option. How will KCPS decide when/if the model will change to one of the others?
- When we return to school/work sites, I am concerned about returning to work in my building due to my medical condition. What should I do?
- How will KCPS decide what model is used?
- When KCPS returns In-Person, I may not be comfortable returning to work in my building due to a family member's health condition. Can I be accommodated under the ADA, or am I eligible for FMLA or other leave?
- This pandemic situation has me very worried. Are there mental health support resources available
- I have specific concerns about my mental health due to the pandemic. What should I do in this situation?
- I do not feel safe due at my worksite due to facility maintenance issues. What should I do?
- I have been exposed to COVID-19 and/or have COVID-19 like symptoms. What should I do?
- If a staff member has a confirmed or presumed case of COVID-19, what should they do?
- What does it mean to be exposed to COVID-19?
- What is the notification process for staff member who may have been exposed to someone who has a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- What should I do if I observe other employees not following the outlined safety procedures?
- What are the recommended modes of communication in this COVID-19 environment?
- I am a Supervisor/Principal and am noticing an increase in staff absences. What should I do?
- Will staff be required to wear a facemask at the school/work site?
- Will I need to wear a facemask when I am outside at school/work?
- Will visitors be allowed at school/work sites?
- What safety measures are being implemented at my school/worksite to mitigate the spread of COVID-19?
- Where may I find detailed information about the KCPS Board of Education Re-entry Plan?
- Where may I find detailed information about the KCPS Schools Re-entry Plan?