Return to Headlines


Kansas City Public Schools receive federal funds for Title I. As a parent of a student in a Title I school, and in accordance with the ESEA Section 1111(h) (6) PARENTS RIGHT-TO-KNOW, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your child. Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s classroom teachers, and requires the school to give you this information in a timely manner. Specifically, you have the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s classroom teachers:

1. Whether the teacher meets the state qualifications and licensing criteria for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.

2. Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or provisional status because of special circumstances.

3. Whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and the field of discipline of the teacher’s certification or degree.

If at any time your student has been taught for four (4) or more consecutive weeks by a teacher(s) that is not highly qualified, then you will be notified by the school.

You also have the right to request information regarding the qualifications of the paraprofessional(s) assisting your child’s teacher(s). If your child is receiving Title I, services from a paraprofessional, then our district or school is able to provide you with the following information:

1. Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications. 

If at any time your child has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher not highly qualified, the school will notify you.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact your building principal, or Andrew Larson, Coordinator/Supervisor of Title One, at the following phone number (816) 418-7779.