It is the mission of the Transportation Department to improve student achievement by providing safe, timely and efficient transportation of all eligible KCPS students. It is a privilege to ride KCPS Transportation and as such that privilege can be revoked at any time for a single act or a series of actions involving inappropriate student conduct.
2901 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO 64109
- Resident students who live .5 miles or more from the school they attend are eligible for transportation.
- Resident students who live less than .5 miles from their resident Neighborhood School or Signature School of attendance are not eligible for transportation. The safe transport of these students to and from school must be the responsibility of the parent.
- District transportation is not provided for students who elect to attend a Neighborhood School other than their neighborhood school.
- Students who are eligible for transportation are not required to walk more than two (2) blocks to their bus stop location.
Transportation Address & Home Address
- For safety reasons, only one address may be used for both morning and afternoon transportation. Barring extenuating and legally binding circumstances, no student may be picked up at one address and returned to a different address.
- Bus stops for students attending their neighborhood school are based on home addresses and/or daycare provider within the attendance boundary of their school.
- Bus stops for students attending Signature Schools may be based on a transportation address (i.e., daycare provider, childcare center, or relative’s home). If used, the transportation address will be the only transportation address utilized for the student.
- All address changes must be executed through a student’s school or the KCPS Admissions Department.
- The parent should call the school or the Transportation Department for transportation information at least one (1) business day after an updated address is reported to a school or the KCPS Admissions Department. If an existing bus stop is not within the district’s bus-stop guidelines, then the parent will be responsible for pupil transportation until a permanent bus stop is established. It may take up to five (5) business days depending on request volume. Stop requests will be processed as quickly as possible and in the order received.
- New students may be informed of the nearest existing bus stop based upon the student’s reported home or transportation address. If there is no existing bus stop within the district’s bus stop guidelines, a new stop will be created. When a new stop must be created, parents should contact the school or the Transportation Department for transportation information at least one (1) business day after an updated address is reported to a school or the KCPS Admissions Department. If an existing bus stop is not within the district’s bus-stop guidelines, then the parent will be responsible for pupil transportation until a permanent bus stop is established. It may take up to five (5) business days depending on request volume. Stop requests will be processed as quickly as possible and in the order received.
Student Transfers & Change of Address
- All transfers and/or address changes should be reported to the student’s school or the KCPS Admissions Department at least two (2) weeks before the scheduled change. Transportation cannot be scheduled until the Transportation Department receives an updated student record with the new school assignment or new home/transportation address.
- The Transportation Department does not have the ability to make address changes. Address changes must be submitted through the school or the KCPS Admissions Department.
- If an existing stop is within the walk guidelines, the student will be assigned to that existing stop. If a new stop has to be created, transportation will be the parents’ responsibility until new transportation, within the District’s bus stop walk guidelines, is arranged.
- For an address change, school personnel should enter the home and/or transportation address in the student record system as soon as the new address is reported.
- If a student can be served from the new address by an existing stop, school personnel can retrieve the new transportation information from the student record system.
Bus Stop Change Requests
- Requests for bus stop changes should be called into the Transportation Department.
- Stop locations will only be changed if the walk distance to the bus stop exceeds the District’s two-block guideline.
- A Safety Supervisor will evaluate an existing stop if a request is received. A new stop will then be created or the requested change will be denied.
- Requests for a bus stop change due to other extenuating circumstances will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Transportation Department.
No Shows & Canceling Curb-To-Curb Service
- Parents of students with curb stops are required to contact their respective Bus/Taxicab vendor each day their student is not going to ride the Bus/Taxicab, for any reason.
- If a student has two consecutive unreported absences, service will be suspended until the Parent contacts the Bus/Taxicab vendor to re-activate the curb stop. Repeated notification failures may lead to the loss of transportation privileges for the entire school year.
Bus tracking app is now available! See information below on how to get started.
SafeStop is also available as a desktop web portal. This web portal can be found here: safestopapp.com/web
How to Get Started
- Search “SafeStop” on your Apple app store or Google Play store to download the free app. You can also access SafeStop on the web at www.safestopapp.com.
- Select “Create Account”, and from the drop-down list select your state. From the new drop-down that populates, select Kansas City Public Schools.
- Then, enter your valid contact information and click REGISTER.
- Check your email for an email verification code, enter in the app and click SUBMIT.
- Enter your Student ID (s) and click SUBMIT. If you do not know your Student ID please reach out to your school administration.
- Set your Notification Preferences and click SUBMIT to complete your secure registration.
Setting Up Your Account
Once you have successfully completed your registration, click GO TO MY STOPS to start setting up your account.
- Once you login to your new account, your assigned bus stops (AM and PM) should populate. If you do not see your bus stops, or your bus stops are incorrect, please reach out to your school transportation department.
- Adjust the Notification Preferences for your stop by clicking and dragging it on your screen. You may also widen the area of your preferences by expanding the circle. You will be notified once the bus has entered your selected notification area.